With Anxiety In Tow-Dedicated to Interviewing the World's Foremost Experts In Anxiety Management

Why You Are NOT Your Anxiety

Do you associate your sense of self worth with your struggles with anxiety? YOU ARE NOT YOUR ANXIETY. PERIOD.

This concept is so important that I’d shout it from the rooftops if I could.

(Round of applause, please.)

Tons of things can cause anxiety.

Running kids around.

Hormones (Big Time).

Spousal conflicts.

Friends.

Work.

School.

Even the dog that won’t stop barking next door.

Really, the list of anxiety triggers is endless. However, you’ll notice that NONE of these causes are you.

No matter what you think.

Sometimes you’ve got to call it like it is. Your anxiety isn’t who you are. Plain and simple.

There used to be days when I wore the shame of anxiety like a scarlet letter. It was a destructive piece of baggage that wrecked my life.

I figured no one could love or accept me because I was flawed.

But this simply isn’t true.

More than 90 percent of the people I’m close to know I struggle with consistent anxiety. And the other 10 percent don’t know yet because the “conversation” hasn’t come up.

Let me tell you something. Nine times out of 10, my struggles with anxiety are 100 percent accepted. I’m still loved. 

Anxiety doesn’t make me a bad person- or you for that matter. We all have something. In other words, no one is perfect.

Anxiety included.

I’m not a therapist, but I am going to say something rather therapeutic. I want you to really listen to this.

Realizing that you and your anxiety are not a team is one of the most important keys to getting back your life.  

It’s the ticket to freedom.

You see, struggling with anxiety does NOT mean you aren’t fun, loyal, enthusiastic, creative, intelligent, or worthwhile. It just means that you have to work a little (or a lot) harder to stay calm.

It’s got ZERO to do with you as an individual.

Heck, you might even appear calm on the outside. Lots of people do.

Cases in point…Tons of  celebrities that we adore deal with anxiety on a regular basis.

BuzzFeed reports that Jennifer Lawrence, John Mayer, and Oprah Winfrey have each struggled with anxiety at some time in their lives.

Look at them. They’re pretty awesome, right? (And if you aren’t a fan of these superstars, Google “celebrities with anxiety.” You’ll come across scores of them.)

But let’s get to the bottom line.

If you’re anything like me, you might be saying: “Yes, but they’re awesome. I’m not.”

Another big fallacy. How do you know you’re not awesome? You might not FEEL awesome, but I bet there are 10 people who would beg to differ.

The purpose of this post is to get your wheels spinning in a positive direction. This is the beginning of a three-part series on WHY you’re not your anxiety.

So grab your journal and get ready to do some work. I’ll be back tomorrow with some pretty fantastic exercises on how to grow your sense of self worth WITH anxiety in tow. (Hint: These exercises are going to be a blast!)

-Anxiety Girl

 

References:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/maggyvaneijk/it-aint-about-the-ass-its-about-the-brain?utm_term=.db0GmGQP6#.ydboEozmN

Photo Copyright:

gajus / 123RF Stock Photo

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*